Friday, November 6, 2020

The Nine-Noodle Necklace

My son was just a toddler when his class at daycare began learning numbers and the alphabet. He was excited to recite each letter and identify an animal or object whose name began with the letter.

Then came the letter N. Cameron was so proud to present me with his latest class project: a nine-noodle necklace. He'd painted nine large tubular pasta and strung them on a length of colorful yarn. The next morning, he made sure I was wearing it to work, which, of course, I did.

Throughout the day I attended meetings and conducted business, happy to explain the origins of my unusual accessory.

Was it the most beautiful piece of jewelry I'ver owned? Of course not. I'm sure I got a few disapproving looks from colleagues.

But the value of my nine-noodle necklace came from the giver, not the gift.

Recently, the Lord reminded me of the nine-noodle necklace. I was lamenting the effects of aging on my body and how much I despised them, when he whispered, "Long life is my gift to you. Why are you disparaging it?"

Whoa. Are the veins on my legs or the gray in my hair any less attractive than my toddler's paint-splattered noodles? Not when you consider the Giver, who said:

Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness. (Proverbs 16:31)

The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old. (Proverbs 20:29)

Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding? (Job 12:12)

So I will embrace this gift, with all its thorns, because I know the Giver. He is good, all the time, and he gives good gifts. Lord, let me wear this gift with thanksgiving and give you the glory!

No comments: