Thursday, May 21, 2020

Creative Juices

My entire career has been spent working creatively. From writing and editing to publication layout and photography, I love the process of creating something cohesive and beautiful from ideas and facts. For the most part, it has been rewarding.

But two years ago, my company was purchased by a conglomerate with a centralized "creative department." The creative team produces cookie-cutter ads, brochures, mailers, TV commercials and billboards that are used interchangeably across the country.

My creative skills were no longer needed.

So what to do with this drive to create? Do I continue looking for employment that allows me to use my creative skills? Or is God leading me in a different direction?

To be endowed with a talent for creativity is a blessing from the Creator himself. His creativity is evident all around us. When he gifts his children with this ability, we are expected to use it for his glory. To stifle it is to hide it in the ground, like the foolish servant.

I believe God is pointing me toward something greater than a 9-to-5 outlet for my creative juices. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm excited to get there. Stay tuned.

No comments: